As Creative Director, you will lead the creative processes for both our internal projects and our client events, build future-forward creative solutions and inspirational work in the live and hybrid event industry. You are responsible for how BlackHouse’s value propositions come to life creatively in our digital and physical spaces. Together with department heads, you will dig deep and deliver actual creative work and innovation that contribute to the growth of our business.
The Creative Director will be able to create cohesive innovative live, virtual and hybrid environments that reach a wide range of audiences. As the Creative Director, you will be the trusted partner to clients to help cultivate the broad vision for the event; learning their event objectives, organizational culture and demographics of their guests. You will lead our agency’s team of creatives and producers to create a cohesive, exciting and authentic guest experience. In collaboration with the client, you will identify problem areas and opportunities to develop compelling stories shared across the stages, sessions, activities, experiences, merchandise, gifts and hospitality. You are willing to try things that you/we don’t already know, with the goal to build new solutions that create unique guest experiences. Within this ever changing virtual event world, you will be adept at speaking the language of various markets including non-profit, corporate and brands while incorporating innovative applications, fresh concepts and unique experiences into the event program.
Every day will be different, challenging and focused on creative projects that meet KPIs. One day you might be ideating new ways to visualize BlackHouse’s services, another day you will be thinking of how to design a custom stage in one of NYCs iconic venues. You will collaborate with department heads, focused on delivering creative support, such as working with our Office Manager to design spaces in our office, or partnering with our sales team to design presentations and marketing collateral. In a timely and strategic manner, balance multiple client projects with unique needs and deliver authentic designs within defined budgets. Our tribe is inventing every day and it takes tenacity, bravery and the ability to see the big opportunities to thrive here.
- Work hand-in-hand with our tribe to concept and execute ideas across a variety of mediums and channels
- Bring curiosity, grit, creativity, empathy, and passion everyday to the team and this role
- Highly professional, with experience leading teams to deliver solid work under changing priorities, heavy deadlines, and daily time constraints
- Demonstrate a high aptitude for selling an idea, resolving concerns and communicating BlackHouse’s viewpoint.
- Access creative projects (both internal and client events) to determine the scope of work and designs required, and develop the staff plan needed to produce the work within the time and budget constraints.
- Consult with HR & Production Director to hire freelance designers (or agencies) for projects, ensuring they have the necessary skills and experience required.
- Be a BlackHouse representative who actively shares our core values with prospective clients and candidates at industry events.
- Lead and inspire team members to perform at their peak and grow professionally.
- Manage freelance designers and ensure their work stays on schedule and meets the brand guidelines per the specified project.
Internal Creative Projects
- Take ownership of BlackHouse’s brand as it evolves with our agency’s expansion
- Develop and evolve scalable creative, including templates for one-sheets, social media posts, and marketing collateral.
- Amaze us with your design expertise by creating visually stunning client pitch presentations, adapting and customizing business proposals in alignment with our agency’s brand/style guidelines.
- Responsible for the creative aspects of BlackHouse’s digital presence, working with the marketing team to maintain our portfolio work on our website, social media, and industry pages such as the Vendry.
Event Design & Experience Curation
- Lead and manage the event design process from ideation to execution.
- Ability to storyboard and lead creative brainstorms that successfully communicate strategies and criteria for implementation of client’s vision.
- Recognize the most viable solutions and execution while effectively utilizing event resources, ensuring the team does the same. Resolve event day issues and be highly responsive to emergencies in a fast paced, time sensitive environment.
- Collaborative skills with proven experience working creatively with producers, technical directors, show directors, graphic designers, motion graphic designers, film producers and video editors to bring stories beautifully to life for live events
- Respond to event briefs from a visual-first, creative perspective
- Develop timely, captivating designs that capture and convey ideas in the space and invoke all five senses
- Assess the quality of client and guest experience through monitoring and responding to feedback.
- Provide hands-on, timely and clear creative feedback to partners, team, and vendors
- Experiment with different creative techniques, tools, and mockup and prototype ideas quickly
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to thoughtfully make decisions that will shape the event while balancing innovation with proven measurable success.
- Develop and maintain Creative budgets with timely updates throughout the event process through constant review and analysis. Track costs against budget for reconciliation with the Finance Manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 8+ years of experience working in creative positions within the event industry
- 2+ years experience with an agency managing a small team of designers
- Strong pitch, presentation, communication skills, both written and verbal. (Required)
- Proven ability to design event spaces with specific focus on stage design
- Proficient with Adobe CC suite of products
- Experience with SketchUp preferred but not required
- Portfolio link with previous work samples (Required)
- Experience with live, virtual and hybrid events.
- Experience working with Brand, Corporate, and Non-profit clients.
- Experience partnering with geographically dispersed teams
- Must have event technology and design experience.
- Must have experience working with event merchandise.
- Knowledge of local and national venues and vendors.
- Very collaborative, cultivating strong relationships across all parts of the business.
- A strong sense of urgency and ability to prioritize. Passionate about events and care deeply about guest experience and customer satisfaction.
- Experience approaching problem solving from multiple angles
- Entrepreneurial experience (preferred)