Job Type: Full-time + PTO + Comp Days
Health Insurance benefits Company Cell phone & computer
Hybrid Work Environment : (4) Days Remote & (1) Days In-Office
BlackHouse is a NYC based Women & Black owned event production agency founded in 2016 with a mission to create experiences worth framing for corporations, brands, and non-profit organizations. Our experiential approach to event design brings our clients message and event programming to life. We bridge the gap between ideation and execution, providing a concierge-like experience for our clients. Working with a tribe of the industry’s elite, we provide comprehensive event production services, specializing in production design, technical production, and show direction. We offer a dynamic work environment, and an opportunity to grow with a group of passionate individuals who live for moments that take your breath away.
Our vision is to create a unique and authentic work environment that allows our tribe to flourish – both individually and in their teams. It is our mission to create meaningful experiences for our employees that bring them value both professionally and personally.
Role Summary People & Culture Manager, is responsible for overseeing personnel and daily operations of the People & Culture department. The People & Culture Manager will be responsible for leading all aspects of human resources including talent acquisition & retention, benefit programs, hiring/onboarding procedures for employees and freelancers and coordinating with members of their department to provide support to employees regarding personal and professional incidents. They find and solve problems, make key decisions, expand influence, and build relationships. This role will partner closely with the agency leadership team on both strategic projects and tactical execution of the agency’s policies and procedures. They will have the opportunity to work with various internal stakeholders at all levels of the organization on both operational and strategic initiatives relating to our tribe and agency. In this role you will be an expert in labor laws set by governing authorities and organizations, and stay in tuned with city, state and federal organizations regarding labor and employment.
- People-obsessed: You have a passion for deeply understanding people and identifying their strengths and how they may best collaborate within a team
- Entrepreneurial: You’re a self-starter who takes the lead in getting things done as well as figuring out what needs to be done
- Operations Mindset: Organized, strategic, and process driven. You can take an idea and create a plan through implementation and you bring people together along the way
- Collaborative: You’re a master at getting things done cross-functionally and believe it’s about the team, not the individual
- High-energy: You’re infectiously optimistic and resilient, and bring positivity and forward momentum to any team you join
- Support current and future business needs by identifying and attracting new talent and engaging, motivating, and preserving current talent. Develop a creative approach to recruiting that incorporates non-traditional methods, develops relationships with local universities, and cultivates a culture of diversity and inclusion
- Development of job descriptions that accurately describe the roles, define the expectations, and depict the culture of our agency. Post jobs on the best suited job sites based on the role.
- Manage and continually improve upon the interview process. Responsible for updating status for all candidates and communicating with each as they move through the pipeline
- Manage the onboarding & offboarding processes for full-time employees and freelancers
- Utilize templated processes to contract freelancers and collect all documentation required
- Develop and maintain benefit programs that are competitive within our industry, to include health insurance benefits, 401k program, travel stipends, etc
- Maintain open communication with all team members and act as a resource for human resources questions or concerns
- Provide supervisors and staff members with coaching and resources to help resolve and prevent interpersonal and team conflicts and adapt to different leadership styles
- Develop and administer a consistent and progressive compensation program including salary surveys and market research to ensure compensation is competitive within its market
- Create and implement strategies that benefit our people and enhance our culture, and are aligned with the overall business goals
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of changing employment regulations and implement policies, procedures and systems by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations/committees, to ensure regulatory compliance and reduce the organization’s legal risks
- Develop & manage a performance management process that is effective, concise, and consistently used across the organization. Provide training and guidance to supervisors, and support them in carrying out their responsibilities on performance reviews, mentoring professional development, and disciplinary actions.
- Partner with leadership team to build out and maintain career frameworks for all employees
- Provide leadership and supervision for people activities and maintain a work environment that supports effective, productive contributions and opportunities for growth
- Use analytical approaches to support good business decisions and periodically evaluate and implement changes to the human resources programs, processes, and third party providers.
- Collaborate with leadership and manage the budget, labor and other financials for the department. Monitor and forecast revenues and expenses to ensure company goals are met on a monthly and yearly basis
- Establish and monitor meaningful metrics to track operational and leadership effectiveness as well as the impact of programmatic efforts
- Maintain and develop systems to ensure effective dissemination information that support people and work synergy
- Minimum 5 years of HR generalist experience, with extensive exposure to benefit administration, employee relations, performance management, & recruitment
- Experience working for an agency in the event industry or a similar creative industry such as PR, Marketing, Design, or Advertising (required)
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field required; advanced degree in human resources, business, public administration preferred
- Demonstrated leadership skills, with a minimum of two years of supervisory/personnel management experience; experience consulting and educating senior management on HR-related topics
- Familiarity with strategic planning, including compensation practices, data analysis, organizational diagnosis and development; deep understanding of current HR trends in compensation, benefits, and performance evaluation frameworks
- Working knowledge of NYS/NYC, and federal laws and regulations affecting local employer practices and compliance requirements.
- Experience developing HR policies and procedures to meet changing organizational needs, and to support the desired organizational culture
- Resourceful and able to find creative solutions, thinking beyond current systems and approaches, while recognizing the impact of decisions and actions on the entire organization
- Understanding of best practices and experience in building inclusive and engaged workplaces; cultural awareness and sensitivity with lens on racial and gender equity; experience supporting a multi-generational workforce
- Ability to deal with conflict effectively, and to manage difficult situations confidently and calmly; demonstrated ability to coach and counsel both executive-level management and employees; willingness to make decisions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; able to partner effectively with stakeholders, including expectation setting; able to influence through listening, writing, and presenting
- Strong project management skills; ability to effectively plan, implement and manage HR programs and functions; ability to implement, explain, and apply relevant policies, procedures, laws, and regulations
- Desire to be part of a growing hardworking, collaborative, fun, and values-driven team
- Must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 (at least two weeks after last vaccine dose) and present proof of upon hiring
- Excellent skills developing spreadsheets that effectively track budgets i.e spend on advertising jobs and recruitment fees.