BlackHouse is a NYC based Women & Black owned event production agency founded in 2016 with a mission to create experiences worth framing for corporations, brands, and non-profit organizations. Our experiential approach to event design brings our clients message and event programming to life. We bridge the gap between ideation and execution, providing a concierge-like experience for our clients. Working with a tribe of the industry’s elite, we provide comprehensive event production services, specializing in production design, technical production, and show direction. We offer a dynamic work environment, and an opportunity to grow with a group of passionate individuals who live for moments that take your breath away.
Our vision is to create a unique and authentic work environment that allows our tribe to flourish both individually and in their teams. It is our mission to create meaningful experiences for our employees that bring them value both professionally and personally.
Role Summary: The Designer is responsible for all of the design elements of the event. The Production Designer collaborates with the Agency Tribe throughout initial client discovery, ideation and concept development, and the comprehensive design process. The Production Designer reports directly to the Creative Director, is guided by the Production manager, and works very closely with the Producer to progress and execute all designs. The Designer also consults with the Technical Manager to assess design concepts for ability to “technically produce” and with the Producer to assess if the designs fit within the budget and that there are vendors / labor / rentals available to achieve the designs.
The ideal candidate will have excellent design skills, with the ability to concisely and accurately explain creative concepts verbally and create renders, shop drawing and design boards that are clear and on brand. The Designer will be working remotely, if available locally they may perform site visits, and work at times in the BlackHouse office in Long Island City. Must be able to multitask in a fast-paced environment, meet quick deadlines, and have excellent verbal and written communication skills to liaise clearly and effectively internally with our tribe, externally with clients and partners.
- Creative for the event production will include event theming, stage set, vinyl decals, printed signage, custom fabrication for activations, branded swag, graphics/motion graphics for screen content for activations, FOH uniforms. TBD food packaging and other designs. Design deliverables may include Mood Boards, Design Boards, Renders, Mockups, Technical drawings, Sketches, Photoshop / Illustrator designs, Vector files for printing, motion graphics, etc.
- * If the Designer indicates in advance of any limitations on design skills agency will consider hiring additional designer to support in the area indicated (i.e motion graphics)
- Develop concepts for event installations using forward-thinking ideas that create unique branded environments and interactive experiences.
- Collaborate with the tribe in Asana, keeping all of your applicable project deadlines, tasks up to date in the project so the team has full visibility on statuses.
- Work with creative and design teams to ensure progress, identify issues and provide solutions. Attend project meetings and creative work sessions/brainstorms.
- Work with Creative Dept regarding the “client timeline” milestones specific to creative process, deadlines for printing and fabrication, and design deliverables.
- Share ideas for creative concepts that meet the clients objectives within budgets and time available for production. Work with the agency team to develop ideas into designs that are cohesive, modern, and engaging.
- Take direction from the Creative Director and feedback from clients constructively, and provide revisions and alternatives as requested promptly. Ensure creative integrity by clearly articulating and defending conceptual and directional choices.
- Responsible for client slides for presenting creative options / solutions. Collaboration between the Producer and project manager on presentation materials and other documents that help to convey the creative concepts developed.
- Design slides for clients per the format directed by CD (i.e present designs in slides with clear labeling that enables clients to effectively communicate feedback in written methods).
- Consult with the Technical Manager to ensure designs can be technically executed.
- Collaborate with the Creative Dept to determine any rentals or supplies needed to produce the design.
- Consult with Technical Manager to create and distribute content specifications using the agency’s google doc template.
- Attend client meetings and present creative concepts as needed per request of the Creative Director.
- Develop well thought out creative briefs for RFPs and provide supportive documentation that empowers the vendor to quote accurately and efficiently.
- Clearly dictate needs and specificities to printers, fabricators, and installers and oversee the vendor’s progress – confirming all designs are accurate, reviewing progress photos from fabricators, and ensuring the vision is achieved and completed on time.
- Works closely with the Technical Manager to aid in the look and feel of the experience from ideation to build.
- Build and maintain effective client relationships, ensuring that all client’s needs are heard, understood and addressed in a timely manner and clearly articulated to the tribe.
- Maintain a professional standard and demeanor for all working situations (in office, on-site, remote/calls etc…)
- Follow all company policies within the handbook as they relate to policy, procedure, and general conduct.
- Attend BlackHouse Orientation and On-boarding meetings (tbd in office or remote)
- Attend client meetings, site visits, and vendor shop visits as needed.
- Strong knowledge of today’s live experience landscape including corporate events, immersive brand experiences, and festivals.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details.
- Multi-tasker with the ability to prioritize multiple requests and projects in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- An eclectic sense of style and creativity.
- Ability to work in a group environment or independently, with little supervision.
- Self-starter with a roll up your sleeves type and adaptable attitude.
- Commitment and follow- through on delegated tasks.
- Willing to take initiative and resolve problems creatively and resourcefully.
- Results-oriented strategic and conceptual thinker.
- Must be passionate about event production life and willing to work hard.
- Availability to work evenings, weekends as needed per deadlines and deliverables
- Ability to keep a professional demeanor in high-stress situations & maintain a proactive approach to overall project management
- A minimum of 7 years GRAPHIC DESIGN experience using of Adobe Creative Suite, with an emphasis on InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator (required)
- A minimum of 5 years experience as a DESIGNER FOR LIVE EVENTS with an emphasis on corporate events with custom designed environments, brand activations and experiential elements (required)
- A minimum of 4 years experience as a DESIGNING SCENIC FABRICATION with an emphasis on unique stage sets, large scale prints, hard sets, and vinyl decals (required)
- A minimum of 3 years experience as a DESIGNING BRANDED SWAG using a client’s logo and brand guidelines. (required)
- A minimum of 3 years of client-facing experience; ability to advise, consult, and resolve any conflict that may arise while still protecting the client relationship required)
- A minimum of 3 years experience using of Vector Works (preferred)
- A minimum of 3 years experience using SketchUp or similar rendering tool (preferred)
- Knowledge of all technical production disciplines: audio, video, lighting, power (preferred)
- Agency: 3 years (Required)
- Strong skills required in Google Office Apps including Drive, Calendar, Zoom, Sheet Slides Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Keynote, Gmail,
- Familiar with both Mac/PC (preferred)
- Knowledge of market fair pricing on event suppliers and labor needed to execute the event designs
- Must be able to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs