BlackHouse is a NYC based Women & Black owned event production agency founded in 2016 with a mission to create experiences worth framing for corporations, brands, and non-profit organizations. Our experiential approach to event design brings our clients message and event programming to life. We bridge the gap between ideation and execution, providing a concierge-like experience for our clients. Working with a tribe of the industry’s elite, we provide comprehensive event production services, specializing in production design, technical production, and show direction. We offer a dynamic work environment, and an opportunity to grow with a group of passionate individuals who live for moments that take your breath away.
Our vision is to create a unique and authentic work environment that allows our tribe to flourish – both individually and in their teams. It is our mission to create meaningful experiences for our employees that bring them value both professionally and personally.
Role Summary: The Technical Director is responsible for the management and execution of all technical production deliverables throughout scope and design, budgeting, pre-production, on-site, and post-production stages of an event. The Technical Manager is solely responsible for the management of the technical production budget, all CAD drawings, equipment gear lists, and technical production labor positions. The ideal candidate will be interested in a career in events and production and will be comfortable dealing directly with a diverse clientele and working remotely and at the BlackHouse office as needed. Candidates must be able to multitask in a fast-paced environment, meet quick deadlines, and have excellent verbal and written communication skills to liaise clearly and effectively with clients and founders.
- Collaborate with the Account Manager, Creative Department, and Producer in determining event scope and design deliverable timeline based on proposed budgets and deadlines.
- Collaborate with internal teams to determine all technical production requirements.
- Work with creative and design teams to ensure progress, identify technical issues and provide solutions.
- Maintain a professional standard and demeanor for all working situations (in office, on-site, remote/calls etc…)
- Follow all company policies within the handbook as they relate to policy, procedure, and general conduct
- Attend BlackHouse in office Orientation and On-boarding meetings
- Attend post-production meetings as needed and complete post-production reports
- Attend client meetings, site visits, and vendor shop visits as needed.
- Draft & distribute RFPs for technical services per BH Producer’s direction and solicit bids for pricing from selected vendors.
- Maintain the contact list in the Event Master Sheet – Adding info for every vendor you solicit pricing from and include primary contact person’s info with email and phone number.
- Create CAD drawings of the event designs for each design proposed to determine specifications needed to solicit RFPs
- Technically asses venue and determine IT needs, system flows, power plots and rigging plans as needed
- Build and manage the technical production budget
- Assist Production Director to complete an Event risk assessment documentation for live event and
- Develop technical escalation and contingency plans
- Other special projects will arise with responsibilities as needed.
- Manage the load-in/load-out of all technical production equipment & scenic elements.
- Attend onsite production meetings and technical rehearsals.
- Work with the Show Director, Event Producer, Creatives and account manager to resolve any issues as they related to technical production as needed.
- Oversee all technical departments & vendors.
- A minimum of 5 years experience as a Technical Manager for premium corporate and non-profit events.
- Advanced skills and knowledge of all technical production disciplines including; audio, video (projection/LED, media servers), lighting, rigging, power, internet/networking, scenic/carpentry, media server, screen switching
- Advanced skills in Vector-works.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, with an emphasis on InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, is a plus.
- Strong skills required in Google Office Apps including Drive, Calendar, Zoom, Forms, Sheets, Slides and Gmail.
- Extensive experience in maintaining positive relationships with technical production vendors and deep knowledge of market fair pricing on equipment and labor positions.
- Strong negotiation and reasoning skills.
- Must be comfortable managing a large team of skilled and highly experienced department leads.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details.
- Multi-tasker with the ability to prioritize multiple requests and projects in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Familiar with both Mac/PC.
- Ability to work in a group environment or independently, with little supervision.
- Self-starter with a roll up your sleeves type and adaptable attitude.
- Commitment and follow- through on delegated tasks.
- Willing to take initiative and resolve problems creatively and resourcefully.
- Results-oriented strategic and conceptual thinker
- Must be passionate about event production life and willing to work hard
- Ability to keep a professional demeanor in high-stress situations & maintain a proactive approach to overall project management.